1/13/11

Today I Became a Local

Today was a very busy and productive day.  I decided that I was done being a tourist and that it was time to make the conversion to being a true local.  What did that entail you ask?  Well I made my first important purchase which was a hair dryer and straightner.  Clearly my priorities were in line.  I also officially set all my clocks to London time because I was tired of adding 8 hrs every time I checked.  That really shouldn't have taken me 2 days but I will blame jet lag for that procrastination.  I also got an Oyster card!  This is my tube/bus/train card that makes me feel super cool because I just have to tap it into this little pad at the station and it lets me on.  You don't even have to take it out of your wallet or purse.  All of the locals have one because the tube is insanely expensive and this card saves you tons if you are traveling around a lot.  Now I never have to buy a paper ticket and look all touristy.  Finally, the most exciting purchase of the day was my phone!  Yes I can finally communicate with the rest of the uk....once I get some uk numbers that is.  My phone number is incredibly long and there is no where I will remember it but I have it written down in my wallet...haha.  Like seriously it's 11 digits long....ridiculous.  The best part about my phone is that I can call you all in the US for a pretty decent rate.  It's 7p per/minute (that's 7 pence not 7 pounds) which is just about the cheapest I have found here so far.  Texting is a bit more expensive at 31p so be prepared to hear my lovely voice more often!!  Big thank you to my friends at Vodaphone for hooking me up with such a good plan.  Finally I thought I would leave my address on here in case any of you want to send me some lovely mail from the states to remind me how wonderful home is...just in case I forget...just kidding (:

My Address is:
Atlantic House
Richmond, the American University in London
1 St. Albans Grove
London W8 5PN
Room #217

1 comment: