1/22/11

Life Goes On

I'm sorry that it has been a few days since my last post.  I don't have any new pictures for you but I do have a few stories of daily life over here in  London.

1) I had the most difficult time picking out a laundry detergent.  I am lucky because my dorm offers free washing machines and dryers so I needed to get some soap.  I went to the market and was so confused by which type to buy.  Aside from the choice of powder or liquid (which is common in the states as well), I just had the hardest time figuring out which of them were for clothes and which were for dishes.  Because they all looked like Cascade dish soap to me.  Then when I settled on a specific brand (liquid incase you were wondering), I could not pick out the difference between the different types they offered.  I finally decided on some green bottle.  I have yet to use it but I will update you on that works out for my clothes.

2) I had a full day of British food today.  (Because you know I have to talk about the food...always)  This morning, or afternoon really but it was soon after I woke up, I had a traditional english breakfast.  This consisted of toast, beans, one sausage, a fried egg, a mushroom, a baked tomato, bacon, and french fries (chips).  It was so good and most definitely restored my faith in british food.  You do have to get used to the bacon being not crispy, it's a little more like ham than what we call bacon.  Actually the menu I was looking at offered crispy bacon as an "american treat".  Which I thought was pretty funny.  Also you will find pancakes and waffles on the dessert menu.  Then for dinner tonight, I went down to our local pub with my friend Ashley for my first traditional fish and chips with a lovely pint on the side.  It was so good to just sit in our little corner and talk with the football (aka futbol) on in the background.  Just a very chill and calm evening.

3) I found shopping heaven today.  We took the tube into Oxford Circus today.  You can review my earlier post referring to the unpredictable nature of tube to understand that we struggled with this today.  Weekends are a nightmare but, hey, you have to get around I guess.  Oxford Circus is known as a very busy shopping street in London.  On this street you will find the Gap, H&M, small boutiques, Marks and Spencer which is a huge store that sells just about everything, and then we came to Primark.  The closest thing I could compare Primark to is H&M but take that times about 1000.  There are just racks and racks of clothes all grouped by type (jackets, knit wear, shirts, pants...)  You grab huge shopping bags and just start grabbing things.  Of course everything is in uk sizes which make no sense so you just have to guess, but that's kind of ok because everything is super cheap.  They also have shoes, accessories, and even home goods.  Just to give you an idea just how cheap I am talking about, let me give you the rundown of what I got.  Sorry dad, I'm going to be refunding you for a lot of this.  I got a sweater, bracelet, necklace, flats, douvet, douvet cover, pillow case, laundry hamper, and a super cute overnight bag for weekend trips and the grand total was only about 50 pounds.  Such a win and a half.  Of course it was even more fun shlepping that all back on the incredibly busy tube.  I guess that's my workout for the day.

I guess that is all I have to report for the moment.  If you have any questions that you would like me to answer feel free to leave them as a comment! Bye!

2 comments:

  1. Jules, you are amazing! It is so fun hearing all about your adventures in London. Thanks for the history lessons and all the details. We are learning so much! Keep enjoying each day. We love you! S&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my questions:
    1. Is the bacon kinda hairy like it was in France (sorry, but seriously...it was! Just sayin' "can you please shave that off of mine before putting it on my plate?! Thanks!")
    2. Do you ever get to eat cereal for breakfast? I can't picture J in the morning with no heaping bowl of cereal! Are you able to find any there?

    Okay...that's it. I'll check back later for my answers! :-)

    ReplyDelete